So, Thursday was my first completely missed post (and Friday my second). Not even a stub of a post to say that I wasn’t posting. I didn’t explode, nor did the blog go to hell. So, I suppose I can stop making such useless posts, at least on occasion. Also, I can rest easy on Monday when I fly across the great pond known as the Atlantic Ocean.
That said, I actually did make progress on MATLAB on Friday. I made a LocalAtmosphere class. When instantiated with a no-arg constructor, it creates an object storing all of the default values for an International Standard Atmosphere day. When instantiated with 4 arguments (I don’t have to hand which order, but I’m pretty sure it’s sea-level temperature, sea-level pressure, tropopause-level temperature, and tropopause height) it will create an atmosphere matching the conditions for your day. This will make it easier to calculate the output values required, which rely on comparisons between both simply due to the nature of the instrumentation in an aircraft.
Slight annoyance moving from Java to MATLAB, constructors can’t be overloaded. Where in Java you can simply define MyConstructor() to do one thing and MyConstructor(arg1,arg2,…,argN) to do another and it will pick which one to use based on the input arguments, in MATLAB you have to do this manually by defining the constructor as MyConstructor(arg1,arg2,…,argN) and checking within the code how many arguments were given. Really, again, it’s a pretty small concern, but for organization purposes I greatly prefer Java’s method of handling the situation.
Don’t expect any progress for the next couple of days, and I’m not sure what progress will be like when I’m home. But, well, you’ll hear if anything happens.